Prof. Dr. Alois Hirschmugl
About Prof. dr. Alois Hirschmugl
Prof. Dr. Alois Hirschmugl is the founder and technical director of D.M.A.T. Consulting KG. He runs the business together with Mag. Monika Hirschmugl-Fuchs and he is primarily responsible for the specialist content in the disaster management, preparation and prevention. His extensive experience in international disaster relief operations in the United Nations, as well as in the European Union is an important competence for the company.
Prof. Dr. Alois Hirschmugl is a professional officer (Brig Gen) of the Austrian Armed Forces (including military legal adviser and humanitarian consultant), lawyer and management consultant. As a trainer
and lecturer, he teaches and provides information for example, in international disaster management, in legal aspects of disaster response and peace support operations and in the socio-economic impact of disasters or civil-military cooperation, at the international and national organizations, universities and government officials.
As a member of the Austrian Standards Institute participated Prof. Dr. Alois Hirschmugl in the development of standards for integrated operational management in the event of a disaster. He is the author of the Handbook for Peace Support, Humanitarian and Disaster Intervention, and he continues to apply his expertise to scientific work and studies.
As a board member of the Humanitarian World Forum Geneva together with Mr. Kofi A. Annan and other high ranking people, he was able to support the global development of humanitarian issues.
Read more about the worldwide humanitarian forum in Geneva in the following PDF: Global Humanitarian Forum
He shows also his professional ethical principles by his membership in the ARGE proEthik .
Insight into the expertise from the missions
The great flood in Mozambique in 2000
the spring 2000, Mozambique suffered a severe catastrophic event, which he was on site twice for the UNDAC (United Nations Disaster Assessment and Coordination) System. You can download a report of his assessment and coordination assignments as a PDF, Report Language German: Flood Disaster Mozambique-2000.
Earthquake in Algeria in 2003
UN disaster assessment and coordination mission, a short report can be downloaded as PDF: Earthquake-Algeria-2003-dt.
Earthquake in Bam in Iran in 2003/2004
Flood Bangladesh in 2004
Tsunami South-East Asia in 2005
A summary of UN Disaster Relief and Coordination Mission in South-East Asia as PDF can be download: Tsunami-South-East-Asia-2005.
You can download an article of the troop service about the effort after tsunami here: Artikel_über_Einsatz_nach_Tsunami_2005.
Earthquake Indonesia 2006
The key points of the European Union’s earthquake-detection mission in Indonesia can be found in the PDF: Earthquake-Indonesia-2006.
Explosion of a Munitions depot in Albania 2008
You can find an article of the Austrian army under this link: Ammunition dump in Albania explodes.
Flood disaster Pakistan in 2010
Enclosed you will find a newspaper article as a PDF file about the UNDAC operation during the flood disaster in Pakistan. Prof. Dr. Alois Hirschmugl was the Team Leader and responsible for the operations team: Flood Pakistan newspaper report.
European Union Civil Protection Team (EUCPT) deployment in Cyprus
In July 2011, there was an explosion in a naval base in Cyprus. The largest nearby power generating station on the island was destroyed during the explosion. Prof. Dr. Alois Hirschmugl was on site as a team Leader with 14 other members of the EU civil defense team. During this mission, drones were first used to explore areas that were inaccessible. Furthermore, satellite images and developments from the GEO-PICTURES Project were used.
For more information, download the fact sheet in PDF format: Explosion_Cypern_Factsheet_2011.
UNDAC Civil Protection Preparedness Mission in Palestine
At the end of March 2014, a disaster reponse preparedness mission was organized in Palastine by UN OCHA, the UN department for the coordination of humanitarian affairs in Palestine.
UNDAC refresher courses
To ensure the efficiency of operations, as well as the safety of the emergency responders and the people who affected by disasters, recurred regular refreshing obligated courses for all UNDAC members.
European Civil Protection Mechanism (EUCPT)
Participation among others in these conferences:
- European Forum Alpbach: Link to the current page: https://www.alpbach.org/de/.
- Participation in Langenargener Symposia in 2008, 2009 and 2010: the annual meeting of representatives from Germany, Austria and Switzerland, the military and civil emergency, disaster and rescue medicine with the aim of promoting technical assistance and military, medical services, as well as international cooperation.
- Partnership signature at the Federal Office for Civil Protection and Disaster Assistance, the Academy for Disaster Management, Emergency Planning and Civil Protection and at Johanniter Akademie in 2009: Prof. Dr. Alois Hirschmugl was invited to give a speech on “Networked thinking in the qualification for disaster and crisis management”. The speech can be found here as PDF to read: Festrede_Vernetztes_Denken.
- Congress “Leadership and Management in Disaster Operations” in 2009, in Bad Neuenahr.
- Annual Meeting of the Global Disaster Alert and Coordination System (GDACS) since 2007.
- EULUX 2007: Keynote speech at the European Union Workshop on Disaster Management and Coordination in the Field in Luxembourg. The presentation (in English) can be downloaded in PDF format: EULUX presentation.
Lectures and publications
- The Impact of Climate Change on the Military and its Training Systems in 2008: The_impact_of_the_climate_change_on_Military_and_its_Trainingssystems2008.
- Participation in the development of ON-rule ONR 192320 a guideline for the international standards for disaster relief organizations, 2006: Normen_im_Krisenmanagement_2006_dt.
- Lecture in the context of the Austrian EU Presidency, 2006: Civil-Military-Coordination.
- Criminal responsibility of the commanders, soldiers and civilians in foreign assignments with special consideration of the SOFA (Status of Forces Agreement), the final version of my doctoral thesis can be downloaded as PDF here: Strafrechtliche_Verantwortung_in_Auslandseinsätzen, 2003.
- Hybrid Threats, Disaster Relief and the Military – a challenge for South Eastern Europe/Western Balkans, EU presidency 2018.