Union Civil Protection Mechanism Exercises (UCPM-2020-EX-AG)
Project title: ResponSEE
Planning, development and conduct of a Union Civil Protection Exercise project to improve the response to an earthquake in South East Europe
Federal Government of Styria, Civil protection department (AUSTRIA)
- Ministry of Security (BOSNIA AND HERCEGOVINA)
- Ministry of Internal affairs through Department of Emergency
- Situation (ROMANIA)
- Reliefgoods GmbH (AUSTRIA)
supported experts as subcontractors to the coordinator:
- Resilience Solutions International (AUSTRIA)
- D.M.A.T. Consulting KG/(AUSTRIA)
- Prepared International (GERMANY)
The countries of the South East Europe (SEE) have a long history of devastating earthquakes that have incurred significant economic and human losses and influenced the development efforts of the countries. Particularly sensitive and earthquake-prone territories are located within ALB, BiH and MNE.
Aim of this project is to strengthen disaster preparedness in the Western Balkans (WB) by increasing interoperability, enabling and supporting cooperation for international disaster response to bring ALB and BiH closer to the UCPM. This will be ensured by an in-depth analysis of the CP situation and exercise capacities of ALB, BiH and MNE, joint exercise planning, development of an exercise planning guide and creating a joint testbed by executing a TTX, CPX and FSX.
The consortium will:
- assess the CP situation and training capacities in the mentioned countries
- draft a guide for preparation and conduct of exercises
- hold joint planning conferences
- implement a Tabletop Exercise (TTX)
- conduct a Command Post Exercise (CPX)
- perform a Joint FSX
- provide an Evaluation including a Lessons Learned process and recommendations for national CP plans
- finalise exercise planning guide
The project is designed to achieve an overall strengthening of disaster preparedness in the WB while increasing interoperability and HNS measures for regional and international disaster response as well as conduct capacity building by training and exercising.
Project objectives are:
- Analyse the CP situation in ALB, BiH and MNE;
- Conduct joint exercise planning;
- Prepare and conduct one joint TTX, CPX, and FSX;
- Conduct evaluation and conclude with a lessons learned procedure and recommend a way ahead for the region;
- Develop an exercise planning guide;
The overall expected result is to enable the response to a large-scale disaster in the region by creating interoperability between all involved actors, and enable support to vulnerable groups; Prepare Main Event List (MEL) and Main Inject List (MIL) for the exercises; A Lessons Learned event; Exercise planning guide; Inform the planned update of cooperation SOP between ERCC and UNDAC system.